Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Know Hope"

I've read Andrew Sullivan's blog off and on ever since I was 16, and read his columns from way back when he was at Time. I must have been 14 at the time, I believe. For the past two years, I'm someone that probably clicks "refresh" around 20 times a day.

I don't quite remember when it was that I discovered he wasn't a citizen of the United States. It may have been one night that I remember looking through his archived posts when I couldn't sleep. But I certainly do remember the shock I felt-- that not only was he not a citizen, but it was because of a disease.

I know I'm only one of his hundreds of thousands of regular readers, but I believe he has shaped my political views and helped me understand American political culture in ways I have yet to realize.

The HIV travel ban is now lifted, and this man that has taught me so much about my own country gets to become a fellow citizen.

Cheers!

No comments: